Grace Anglican Church

51 Albion Street
Brantford, Ontario   N3T 3L9
519-752-6814

Sunday Services:
8:30 am and 10:30 am

Rector:   The Rev. David Ponting

Grace Anglican Church, Brantford, is another of those beautiful gems of Huron Diocese, tucked away on a side street in downtown Brantford, Ontario.   An 1830 map shows the present location of Grace as the site of an Episcopal Church.   The original, white frame building was erected in 1832, and by 1856, the cornerstone had been laid for the present building by the Rev. Benjamin Cronyn, soon to be first elected bishop of the worldwide Anglican Communion.   The beginnings of the parish actually go back much farther, to 1801, when Captain Joseph Brant set aside land for the Church of England, a market square, a public square and a court house.

Grace Anglican, Brantford, OntarioThe present building is of Gothic architecture, having been designed by a local Brantford architect, John Turner.   The clerestory windows of the nave and the stained glass windows throughout the building give the interior an airy, colourful feel where the present day worshipper can comfortably settle into corporate worship or just spend a few minutes in quiet prayer or meditation.

Many of the windows contain much deep blue and the "Frank Window", a memorial window on the south side of the nave is no different.   The illustration is based on the Luke 7 story of the Centurion of Great Faith.   The style of this window, though, is definitely more modern than the others, and congregational reaction to this window reflected the differences in style from the other, more traditionally designed windows.   The east window is from the 19th century French craftsmanship and depicts the Ascension of Our Lord, while the west window, now housed in the 1918 war memorial tower, represents the passage from Revelation 4.   It shows Christ enthroned, hand raised in blessing.   The seven spirits are represented by torches, and the three bottom panels show three of the archangels - Gabriel, Michael and Raphael.   This window was done by Canadian artists.
In 2003, the communities of St. Stephen's and Grace became one community, with the Grace building becoming the centre of worship.   One of the outreaches this amalgamation of the two communities has allowed for is the establishment of a part-time chaplaincy at Wilfred Laurier University, Brantford campus.   Grace's former rectory, now called St. Stephen's House, is being remodelled for student housing.

For the last 176 years, the people of Grace Church have reflected the growth and development of the Brantford community.   Always looking to face the new challenges with faith, trust and courage, the community continues to look to the future.


For more information on the church, see the
Grace Anglican Brantford website.


March 2007 story by Fr. Michael Atkins (former rector
St Luke's Broughdale, London, Ontario)

Many thanks to Eleanor Chapin at Grace Church for the time she spent with me and the print material she provided to help with the writing of this article.
Franck Window; controversial in its day for its modernity.
Diocese of Huron Leading Churches Huron Anglican Parishes
Bishop John Strachan Circle of Faith St Thomas Church
Seaforth, Ontario

Trivitt Memorial, Exeter St John, Kitchener Christ Church, Meaford St John's, Sandwich Old Saint Paul's, Woodstock